For onshore and offshore drilling programs, well-control analysis for 3D wellbores, including vertical and horizontal, can be performed with Petris’ Killsheet Application. Featuring both the Driller’s and Engineer’s methods (wait and weight), the Killsheet Application calculates all kill information as well as prepares a drill-pipe press schedule. Other key issues that are addressed as part of this application are wellbore deviation, subsea BOP stacks, tapered drill strings, kill-mud weight margins, and circulating drill-pipe margins. As an additional benefit, this model provides a simplified mode that can be used for training purposes.
Petris’ Kick Simulation was developed to accurately describe a complex, multiphase flow which can develop as a gas influx is circulated out of a well. Kick Simulation is capable of handling both the Driller’s and Engineer’s well-control methods. The application also incorporates Bingham-plastic and power-low fluid models to perform frictional pressure calculations.
To provide better well control procedures, Kill Simulation enables your team to accurately predict pressure changes and ECDs at the choke, casing shoe, wellhead, end of the well, or any specific step that you select. For example, using Kill Simulation, your team can forecast pressure changes and ECDs at the entrance to a horizontal section. In addition, the application determines maximum ECD along the wellbore and compares it with the pore-and fracture-pressure gradients, providing valuable data to make accurate decisions on well-control equipment and kick tolerance.
Dynamic Kill for Slim Holes
Slim holes present distinctive issues for drilling engineers. These wells’ kick tolerance, for instance, is extremely low due to small annular volumes. Likewise, pressure losses are high relative to total pressure losses. Through Dynamic Kill for Slim Holes, your organization can make better decisions on which combination of mud weight, RPM and flow rate will produce a specific ECD to successfully control and circulate out influxes in a hole.
Advantages for Your Company
- Meets your team’s needs by supporting both Driller’s and Engineer’s methods
- Customizes BHP during kill procedures to maintain over- or under-balance pressures
- Meets your team’s unique drilling needs by enabling prediction of pressure changes and ECDs at the choke, casing show, wellhead, bottomhole or any other point that they select
- Provides a kick tolerance sensitivity screen
- Includes a simplified mode to use during training
- Provides flexibility to perform analysis on 3D wellbores…both onshore and offshore
- Calculates kill mud weight and choke pressure schedule
- Performs either single-bubble or one of three two-phase flow correlations
- Determines ECDs along the wellbore and compares data to pore and fracture gradients
- Delivers a leak-off test to calculate the maximum allowable mud weight for comparison with the kill mud weight
- Accounts for effects of gas slippage and gas solubility