Borehole Data Management for Oil and Gas Companies
Challenge: An international oil and gas company faced multiple problems with managing its extensive borehole data. The company identified the following inconsistencies and wasteful steps in its processes:
- Different work and data flows were used at its various business organizations.
- Key practices, including naming conventions and data repository structures, were not standardized.
- Process inefficiencies led to staff time spent on mundane data management chores such as finding and loading data into project and corporate databases… instead of focusing on value-adding preparation and interpretation of data and decision-making.
- Data integrity was compromised.
- The result: time delays, user frustration and excessive costs.
Opportunity: The company wanted to define and deploy a common corporate data storage system to capture, query and download its borehole data. In addition, the company required a roadmap for a global roll-out of the borehole data management solution to maximize impact for users and optimize its expenditure worldwide.
Solution: Petris teamed up with a third party integrator to create and implement a total package solution. We conducted 4 workshops to design and plan the solution implementation and 3 workshops to design the implementation for specific sites.
The Petris solution included
- DropBox: web-based tool and series of workflows that allows user to upload file to corporate borehole data repository. We provided web-based tool and Petris provided workflows that load, verify and publish data to corporate database
- Recall Corporate Database: for storage of wide range of borehole data types.
- Recall Live database for all high-value raw, edited, interpreted and processed data sets
- Recall Original Format database for all structured acquisition data sets in industry standard data formats and unstructured data documents, including scanned raster logs, core photographs and spreadsheets
- Recall Core database for all core data types
- Recall Oracle Mirror to keep Recall Well Header information synchronized with Finder
- PetrisWINDS Enterprise: to rapidly query and locate data in Recall Corporate Database and allow data to be transferred to project and application data stores
- System Configuration: automated workflows to load and verify borehole data to meet client’s unique requirements
- Standards: Petris recommended and led an accompanying global standards project to ensure common borehole data organization and naming conventions were applied in all locations.
- Database population: Petris handled automating and loading of huge volumes of data from various sources into Recall databases.
Impact: So far, the solution has been successfully deployed in six strategic business units with the following results:
- Hundreds of thousands of wells and millions of data files loaded into Recall databases
- Effective organization of corporate borehole data through set of corporate standards in secure environment
- DropBox and automated data loading and verification process flows radically reduced effort to populate data into Recall databases
- Petris Enterprise allows end user to quickly search, locate and export data
- Implementation of Petris Raven workflows will allow data to be automatically published from staging databases to corporate Raven database – contributing more efficiencies and savings
- Expanded use of Petris Raven verification tools will improve data quality in Recall databases.